Marie has been enhancing the performance of elite athletes since becoming certified as an Athletic Trainer, adding Strength & Conditioning Coach, Rock Doc, and Massage Therapist credentials along the way. She moved into the international level in 1988, serving as Athletic Trainer and Massage Therapist for three consecutive Olympic Freestyle Wrestling Teams, US Weightlifting Federation Sports Medicine Committee, US Gymnastics Federation (covering USA/USSR duals), and USA Judo.
Her passion for keeping athletes performing at their peak currently finds her as Director of Sports Medicine at East Valley CrossFit. She also maintains Have Thumbs, Will Travel! (r), a private wellness practice.
Athletic Training/Coaching/Teaching Experience:
- Sports Medicine Director, East Valley CrossFit, 2013-present. CrossFit Regionals and Games trainer, 2013, 2014
- Have Thumbs, Will Travel!, 1988-present~ founder, wellness/performance private practice. Worked privately with world champion power lifter Rich Wenner,and world Judo silver medalist Eddie Liddie, among others.
- Physicians’ Physical Therapy, 1990-1991~ clinical athletic trainer
- Sport, Spine, Orthopedic Physical Therapy, 1988-1989~ clinical and HS trainer
- Sunkist Kids Wrestling Club, 1986-96~ National Champions every year.
- USA Wrestling: 1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic Team Trainer/Massage Therapist~ we had more medalists and higher in the world standings during these years than at any other time in USA Wrestling history.
- USA Weightlifting Sports Medicine Committee, 1990-1996, at their invitation
- USA Gymnastics Federation, 1988-1992~ covered USA/USSR Dual Meets
- Graduate Assistant Strength Coach, 1990-1992
- Graduate Assistant Athletic Trainer, 1986-1988
Education and Certifications
Rock Doc, Rock Tape
MS, Exercise Science/Biomechanics
Arizona State University
Licensed Athletic Trainer
State of Arizona, 2001
Licensed Massage Therapist
City of Phoenix/State of Arizona, 1990
Strength & Conditioning Specialist
National Strength & Conditioning Coaches Association, 1989
Certified Athletic Trainer
National Athletic Trainers Association 1985
BS, Public Health, Exercise Science/Biomechanics
University of Minnesota 1984